ON THE CURRENT SITUATION OF COVID-19
IN BRUNEI DARUSSALAM
16 Rabiulawal 1443 / 23 October 2021
1. Today, Saturday, 16 Rabiulawal 1443 / 23 October 2021, by the will of Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'Ala and with a heavy heart, the Ministry of Health would like to inform the public that one COVID-19 confirmed case has returned to the grace and mercy of Allah.
2. The case was a 72-year-old woman who suffered from lung problems after infected with COVID-19. Meanwhile the cause of death for the two cases that was previously reported have been identified. Case 8895's death was confirmed as due to COVID-19 whereas Case 9263 was not caused by the COVID-19 infection.
3. In this opportunity, myself representing the Ministry of Health as well as the people of Brunei Darussalam, would like to express our deepest condolences to the cases' families and pray their souls will receive blessings and are placed among the pious. Al-Fatihah.
(recital of surah Al-Fatihah)
4. A total of two hundred and twenty-nine (229) new cases of COVID-19 infections have been confirmed bringing the total number of COVID-19 cases to 11,901.
- There are 53 additional new cases to 14 of the existing active clusters who were previously close contacts with several positive cases.
- Meanwhile, two new clusters have been detected that involved 13 cases which are accommodation clusters.
- Five clusters have been closed following no new detected cases in the clusters for 28 days. The closed clusters are FOS THOR Vessel Cluster, 3774 Cluster, 3965 Cluster, 5390 Cluster and 5499 Cluster. Therefore, the current total active clusters are 167 clusters.
- In addition, there is one import case that arrived in Brunei Darussalam from Manila via Singapore on board Singapore Airlines SQ 146 on 10/10/2021.
- Meanwhile, 162 new cases are still being investigated to determine the source of the infection.
5. Two hundred and seventy-seven (277) cases have recovered today bringing the total number of recovered cases in Brunei Darussalam to 9,368 cases, whereas the total number active cases are 2,452 cases.
6. Among the cases being treated at the National Isolation Centre, six cases are in Category 5 and currently treated at the Intensive Care Unit. All of them require assistance of artificial ventilation with three cases require the help of additional heart/lung machine (ECMO). Meanwhile, eighteen cases are categorised in Category 4 that require oxygen assistance and are under close monitoring.
7. In the past 24 hours, a total of 3,529 samples have been tested for the SARS-CoV-2 virus which brings the total number of laboratory tests conducted since January 2020 to 468,587 tests.
8. On 22 October 2021, a total of 399 individuals have received the COVID-19 vaccine injection. This means that, under the National Vaccination Programme, a total of 347,147 individuals have received the first doses of the COVID-19 vaccine which is 80.7% from the total population. Meanwhile, 241,059 individuals have completed the second doses of the COVID-19 vaccine which is 56.1% from the total population.
9. Meanwhile, outcome from the multi-agencies enforcement monitoring that was carried out last night during the out-of-house restriction from 8 PM until 4 AM this morning, a total of 23 violations of the directive nationwide were issued with compound fines, where 10 of them are violations of the out-of-house restriction.
10. Let us be united in responding to all the recommendations and directives of the Government. Let us together protect ourselves and our loved ones. May Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'Ala continue to bless and protect the citizens and residents of Brunei Darussalam. Aamiin Aaminn Ya Rabbalalamin. Thank you
- END -
Reference : KK/PR/2
Date : 16 Rabiulawal 1443H / 23 October 2021