ON THE CURRENT SITUATION OF COVID-19
IN BRUNEI DARUSSALAM
17 Rabiulawal 1443 / 24 October 2021
1. Today, Sunday, 17 Rabiulawal 1443 / 24 October 2021, a total of two hundred and twelve (212) new cases of COVID-19 infections have been confirmed bringing the total number of COVID-19 cases to 12,113.
- There are 97 additional new cases to 16 of the existing active clusters who were previously close contacts with several positive cases.
- Meanwhile, five new clusters have been detected that involved 31 cases. All the new clusters are accommodation clusters, which two of the clusters namely; TSL Construction Staffhouse Cluster and Traine Aire Sdn Bhd Cluster are housing clusters that accommodate the companies' employees.
- Six clusters have been closed following no new detected cases in the clusters for 28 days. The closed clusters are 3016 Cluster, 3788 Cluster, 4360 Custer, 5673 Cluster, 5677 Cluster and Little Audrey Cluster. Therefore, the current total active clusters are 166 clusters.
- In addition, there is one import case that arrived in Brunei Darussalam from Russia via Singapore on board Singapore Airlines SQ 148 on 15/10/2021.
- Meanwhile, 83 new cases are still being investigated to determine the source of the infection.
2. Two hundred and forty (240) cases have recovered today bringing the total number of recovered cases in Brunei Darussalam to 9,608 cases, whereas the total number active cases are 2,424 cases.
3. Among the cases being treated at the National Isolation Centre, six cases are in Category 5 and currently treated at the Intensive Care Unit. All of them require assistance of artificial ventilation with three cases require the help of additional heart/lung machine (ECMO). Meanwhile, seventeen cases are categorised in Category 4 that require oxygen assistance and are under close monitoring.
4. In the past 24 hours, a total of 4,944 samples have been tested for the SARS-CoV-2 virus which brings the total number of laboratory tests conducted since January 2020 to 473,531 tests.
5. On 23 October 2021, a total of 3,775 individuals have received the COVID-19 vaccine injection. This means that, under the National Vaccination Programme, a total of 348,212 individuals have received the first doses of the COVID-19 vaccine which is 81.0% from the total population. Meanwhile, 243,769 individuals have completed the second doses of the COVID-19 vaccine which is 56.7% from the total population.
6. Meanwhile, outcome from the multi-agencies enforcement monitoring that was carried out last night during the out-of-house restriction from 8 PM until 4 AM this morning, a total of 7 violations of the directive nationwide were issued with compound fines, where 4 of them are violations of the out-of-house restriction.
7. Protecting oneself by vaccinating is the most effective method in curbing the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic, in addition to adopting other preventive measures such as wearing a face mask, maintaining personal hygiene, practicing proper sneeze and cough etiquette and practising physical distancing by staying at home. Let us play our respective roles and pray and trust in Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala. May the citizens and residents of Brunei Darussalam always be blessed and prosperous, as well as protected from the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. Aamiin Aamiin Ya Rabbalalamin. Thank you.
- END -
Reference : KK/PR/2
Date : 17 Rabiulawal 1443H / 24 October 2021