Sunday, 27 January 2019 – Otorhinolaryngology (ORL) Department, Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Saleha Hospital organised an Auditory Implant Forum 2019 today, 27th January 2019, held at the Empire Hotel & Country Club, Jerudong. Present as the Guest of Honour is the Honourable Dato Seri Setia Dr. Haji Mohammad Isham bin Haji Jaafar, Minister of Health, Brunei Darussalam.
The majority of candidates identified through the cochlear implant and bone anchored implant programmes are children. In ensuring the sustainability of these programmes, the Otorhinolaryngology Department recognized the importance of counseling, the need to allay parental fears and reservations about the surgery involved and the surgical implants in particular. The success of the programme on the whole is highly dependent on the commitment of patients and their family as the rehabilitation process after surgery is vital in ensuring its outcome. Furthermore it is well recognized that rehabilitation is a long process particularly in children.
The forum aims to provide a meaningful platform for parents and potential candidates to obtain first-hand information from the multidisciplinary team professionals involved in the treatment, care, rehabilitation and support of these patients. It is also an opportunity for parents of children and patients with cochlear implants and Bone Anchored Hearing aid (BAHA) implants to share and relate their experience and success stories.
The objectives of the forum are:-
• To introduce cochlear and BAHA implant programmes provided by the Otorhinolaryngology Department, Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Saleha Hospital to the public;
• To share an overview of diagnostic to habilitation services for individuals with hearing impairment given by professionals from the multidisciplinary team in hearing impairment;
• Product introduction to address what parents/family and patients want to know about the hearing implants;
• To share success stories of patients who have been implanted with Cochlear and BAHA implants;
• To share information on the care and support required after implants (post-implants support;
• To address any concerns about auditory implants in an interactive, informative and safe environment; and
• To provide better understanding of auditory implants as treatment options for suitable candidates.
The forum began with the recitation of Surah Al-Faatihah, followed by a welcoming address by Yang Mulia Mr Fakhruddin Salim, Head of Otorhinolaryngology Department, Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Saleha Hospital and a speech by the Honourable Minister of Health. The forum continued with a brief overview presentation on Hearing Implants, presented by Yang Mulia Mr Nayan Parekh (ENT Consultant), followed by an interactive session “Share With Us” with parents and patients who attended the event.
Other topics that were presented at the forum by local speakers from the Otorhinolaryngology Department were; Newborn Hearing Screening - Detecting hearing loss earlier by Yang Mulia Nurrul Akmar Halem (Audiologist); Your Child and Hearing Aids by Yang Mulia Arni Kartini Awg Hj Bakar (Audiologist); Developing your child’s brain for communication by Yang Mulia Meela Adreeyana Hj Aliuddin (Speech & Language Therapist); and Alternative Communications by Yang Mulia Ong Siok Yan (Teacher of Hearing Impaired).
About 200 participants attended the forum, including healthcare professionals (paediatricians, primary health doctors), Special Education Unit of Ministry of Education, JAPEM of Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports and non-government organizations such as Persatuan Orang Kurang Pendengaran (OKP) linked to hearing impairment.
Date: 27th January 2019