MEDIA STATEMENT OF THE CURRENT
SITUATION OF THE COVID-19 INFECTION
IN BRUNEI DARUSSALAM
09 Zulkaedah 1441 / 01 July 2020
1. The Ministry of Health would like to inform the public that today, Wednesday, 09 Zulkaedah 1441 / 01 July 2020, Alhamdulillah with the grace of Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'Ala, there is no new case of COVID-19 infection in the country. Therefore, the total number of COVID-19 cases in Brunei Darussalam remains at 141 cases.
2. Meanwhile, currently there are 413 individuals who are undergoing mandatory self-isolation at the monitoring centers provided by the Government, who have just arrived in the country after traveling abroad. At present, a total of 2,718 individuals have completed their mandatory self-isolation at the monitoring centres.
3. In the past 24 hours, a total of 294 samples have been tested for the SARS-CoV-2 virus that brings the total number of laboratory tests conducted since January 2020 to 29,841 tests.
4. Futhermore, taking into account the situation of COVID-19 in Brunei Darussalam which is currently under control, with the consent of His Majesty the Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam, the Ministry of Health would like to inform the public on additional reduction of the social distancing measures implemented following the COVID-19 outbreak in the country, as follows:
- Commencing new activities to Level 1 on 06 July 2020 for:
- Swimming pools
- Mass gathering
- Escalating the following activities from Level 1 to Level 2 commencing on 06 July 2020:
- Special needs classes
- Childcare centre
- Museums, Galleries and Libraries
- Internet cafe
- Increasing the following activities to be escalated from Level 2 to Level 3 commencing on 04 July 2020:
- Vocational, technical and higher education institutions
- Tuition schools and music schools
- Meanwhile, the following activities will be escalated from Level 2 to Level 3 commencing on 06 July 2020:
- Mosques, surau and musallas (balai ibadat)
- Other places of worship besides mosques and surau
- Driving school
- Gym, fitness center
- Sports Facilities (indoor & outdoor)
- Golf course
- Restaurants, Cafes and Food Courts
- Stalls and Markets
- Meanwhile, Arcade and Indoor Playground is not permiteed to open and will be officially announced at a later date.
Information regarding the reduction of the social distancing measures for each premises will be explained by the respective ministries.
5. Meanwhile, the following are the requirements for the reduction of social distancing measures for:
- Mass Gathering
Mass Gathering will be permitted but is limited to not more than 50 people only. Members of the public can refer to the detailed requirements in the Guidelines for Mass Gathering (Level 1) which will be uploaded on the Ministry of Health's website.
- Other places of worship besides mosque and surau
Other places of worship besides mosque and surau will be permitted to operate at an 80% capacity of their normal capacity at any one time while still practicing physical distancing. Other requirements are maintained as per the directive and guidelines issued.
- Driving Schools
For driving schools, classes are allowed to operate at 90% capacity of their normal capacity at any one time. Other requirements are maintained as per the directive and guidelines issued by the Ministry of Transport and Infocommunications.
d. Internet cafe
For internet cafes, it is permitted to operate at 60% of the normal capacity at any one time in accordance with the directives and guidelines issued by the Ministry of Transport and Infocommunications.
6. The Ministry of Health would like to inform that the public is required to comply with all regulations and directives related to the reduction of social distancing measures. Any individual found to be in violation of or disobey any order issued shall be an offense under the Infectious Diseases Act (Section 204) which carries a fine of up to $10,000 or imprisonment up to 6 months or both. The Ministry will not hesitate to take legal action against anyone who does not comply with the directives issued.
7. The Ministry of Health will continue to monitor the situation of the outbreak at the national as well as regional and global level and carry out ongoing risk assessments to consider further mitigation measures. If the outbreak situation becomes alarming yet again, the Ministry of Health will not hesitate to tighten the social distancing measures that need to be taken to control the outbreak. The Ministry of Health will notify the public of any changes to this situation, if necessary from time to time.
- END -
Reference : KK/PR/2
Date : 09 Zulkaedah 1441H / 01 July 2020