STEPS YOU CAN TAKE TO CLEAN AND DISINFECT YOUR HOME
Here are five steps you can do to sanitise your living area from bacterias and viruses:
1. Prepare your cleaning materials:
- Wear a mask to cover your mouth and nose, wear disposable gloves and a use bleach solution or any appropriate disinfectant with indication of effectiveness against bacterias and viruses.
- Keep the windows open for ventilation, and remember to avoid touching your face and eyes.
2. Get ready to clean surfaces:
- Prepare the disinfectant or bleach solution (as indicated in the product description).
- Use a mop to clean the floors of your home from one end to another.
- Use disposable cloths or rags to wipe toilet surfaces and frequently touched areas, such as handles, doorknobs, remote controllers, armrests, switches, etc.
- Do not use a spray pack to apply disinfectant as it may create splashes which can further spread the virus.
3. Wash fabrics properly:
- Use a washing machine and detergent to wash fabrics, such as bed sheets, pillow covers and blankets.
4. Finishing up:
- Repeat mopping the floor of your living area from one end to another, but avoid going from uncleaned areas to cleaned areas, to avoid dirtying the cleaned area.
- With your gloves and face mask on, throw all used cloths, as well as other waste, into a proper plastic trash bag. Tie the trash bag and dispose of it properly.
- Remove and dispose used gloves and face mask. Then wash your hands with soap and water. Separate clean-up waste from other household waste.
5. Remember to do personal hygiene after you are done:
- Shower and change your clothes.
- Ventilate your living area.
- Remember to avoid sharing household items, and wash used items thoroughly with soap and water.
For more information on cleaning and disinfection procedures, go to the Guildelines page here.
NOTE: The information in this webpage is adapted from the National Environment Agency, Singapore.