His Excellency Dr Takeshi Kasai, WHO Regional Director For The Western Pacific paid a courtesy call to the Honourable Minister of Health on 11 July 2019
The Minister of Health expressed his appreciation to WHO for their support to Brunei Darussalam that have contribute to the strengthening of healthcare services in the country as follows:
- In providing technical assistance for the purpose of capacity building through provision of consultancy, and providing support and guidance in the implementation of health programs and development of policies, strategies and guidelines which encompass various areas of public health, promotion of health and others, which include the following:
- Identifying Health Systems Efficiencies for UHC Consolidation in Brunei Darussalam, 8 – 10 April 2019;
- Capacity Development for the Implementation of Insecticide Resistance Research in Brunei Darussalam, 30 April – 2 May 2019;
- Rabies Risk Assessment in Brunei Darussalam, 30 April – 1 May 2019;
- WHO Joint External Evaluations (JEEs) for Brunei Darussalam, 28 October – 1 November 2019;
- In sponsoring participation of relevant officers from Ministry of Health Brunei Darussalam in meetings, fellowship program and attending international conferences.
- In supporting Brunei Darussalam through the WHO Programme Budget 2018 – 2019, in which a total of USD36,000 was allocated to Brunei Darussalam, on implementation of programme areas comprising of Non-Communicable Diseases; and Adolescent Health.
The Minister of Health also shared with His Excellency Dr Takeshi Kasai on the Ministry of Health's Strategic
Plan 2019 – 2023 which outlines strategies and initiatives that encompass key
areas that emphasizes excellence in health care; prevention and control of
NCDs; protection of public health through effective policies and regulations;
sustainability through resource optimization and innovation; and transparent
and proactive governance.
The Minister also expressed that Brunei Darussalam is fully committed to address
the challenge on NCDs and are guided by the WHO Global Action Plan for the
Prevention and Control of Noncommunicable Diseases 2013 – 2020.